Search This Blog

Monday, January 16, 2012

It is not what I said but how I said it!

We spent the summer dry-walling our home only to have to tear most of it out and start over. For the second attempt I hired a company from Greenville, based on a recommended from Ken Fairchild. (A friend of mine who just happens to be a really great builder.) After a walk through to survey the job, Carlos and I agreed to a price. The start date was yet to be determined because we were still completing repairs from Irene's visit.

After all the repairs were made, it was time for Carols and his crew to come in and work some magic. At the end of week one, the house is looking great: real progress has been made. It is Friday and time to give Carlos the first payment installment. He requests that the cheque be made payable to his wife. (Of course I agree and in the memo line I record who the payment is to and what for.) So there I am writing the cheque - Me, Carlos and my carpenter. Everyone is staring at the chequebook, you could hear a pin drop. I felt I needed to make conversation - it was just too quiet.

I ask, "Do you always give you wife all your money?"
Carlos replies, "Yes!"
I am laughing as I ask, "But she gives you some?"
He responds, "Yes, I have two sons and my wife, she is pregnant again."

We were instantly back to the awkward silence. I have worked with my carpenter for over three years and we have never discussed anything this personal. We exchanged a look and then busted out laughing at the situation. Carlos did not seem to find it all that funny. There he was proud of his family accomplishments and we couldn't stop laughing.

I felt obligated to explain that I meant, "Does she give you some of the money?"
To which he replied, "Yes, she gives me some of that also!"

Moral of the Story
Be careful when making inquiries about "some" because sometimes "some" is more than you were asking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment