Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

What Happened to Customer Service?

Do you ever feel like good customer service is a thing of the past? Perhaps it is the consumers fault because we accept it. Maybe it is the cost to consumers for lower prices. Sometimes it is like a hostage situation where we are forced to buy from the only store locally that sells a desired item. The reasons for this acceptance will vary but one thing is certain, we all have experienced poor customer service. Day five of the flu and my spirits are running a bit low. I woke-up this morning and realized I needed to perk-up. I decided I needed to get my day started so I called Gary over at East Carolina Paint Centre and asked him if he would mind mixing some paint for me to pick-up? Of course he was happy too. Okay, so far, so good - I decided to get ready for my daily adventure. Before I left the house I checked my blog, e-mail, Facebook, etc. Lots of positive messages about the blog and "feel better wishes". (Big thanks to everyone who sent them.) Finally I was ready to go out and greet the world.

First stop on today's mission was the paint store. Customer service at its very best. Gary was coming out to the car with the paint before I even had a chance to kill the engine. He was worried I was too sick to come-in for it. I could have hugged him. Ironically my way of thanks would have brought him in closer contact to my germs (not a great way to repay someone for their kindness.)

Next stop the river house. Checked on today's plans and discussed closet ideas with the guys. Everything looks great and progress is apparent. The journey continuous with a visit to John Micheal's Jewellery on Trent Road. There I am greeted by name. I bought my husband a new-to-him ring for Christmas from an auction and needed to have it inspected for loose and/or damaged stones. For $10 I bought the piece of mind that the ring is fine, along with two watch batteries (happily installed). Another great experience on the journey to a great day.

Hubby's New Bling

Then I got a phone call. It was my husband calling to check on me and asking me out to lunch. I knew instantly I wanted to go over to Thai Thai on Neuse Boulevard. They have the best lunch buffet ever. I arrived before Marston and was greet with, "Nice to see you is your husband also coming?" I replied and was immediately led to a table where I was asked, "Would this table be alright?" Of course it was. Next question, "Did you want your usual drinks?" We go there a couple of times a month for lunch and the guy remembers what we like to drink. Needless to say everything about this experience was fantastic.

The moral of the story. Poor customer service experiences can often be eliminated by supporting the local businesses who have a vested interest in providing the very best service possible. Sadly, there are a few owner/operators who haven't realized this vital business secrete. Shop local: get to know your local business owners and support the local economy. I think you will be pleasantly be surprised by the people you'll meet. Those who say a small town has nothing to offer them - need to take a second look.

Best

FYI - Check today's new post on the project page.

No comments:

Post a Comment