Search This Blog

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Potty Training

There are different reasons to want to conserve water. Admittedly ours was because of the price. Our water bill is not very expensive but our sewer is billed at three times the actual gallons of water used. This gets expensive. It makes you think twice about watering the lawn and garden. The plan for the new house includes ways to make it more efficient.

The River House has five bathrooms, which doesn't sound efficient for two people. Being someone who likes to reuse things I debated on keeping a couple of the existing toilets but the water consumption for 1960s model is much higher than modern toilets. One toilet was missing from the house prior to purchase so I knew I would have to buy at least one. Then there were the pink and brown toilets that worked but were PINK and BROWN. After having saved all the toilets on our lawn for about six months, a decision was finally made to replace all of them. Two have been purchased. Today I began the search for the remaining three. The most interesting find of the day is a toilet and hand sink all-in-one combination. Trust me this is better than it sounds.

Many people go to their local box discount centre and select something pretty, which is ironic considering what it is used for. Some shoppers are worried about water usage. But the number one thing most people are concerned about seems to be the height of the toilet. If I was a tall person I think I would want a tall toilet. Being 5'2" I personally don't like the ones I have to "climb" to get on. I assumed other under-tall people would feel the same way but this does not appear to be the case.

I recently visited a local bathroom showroom to checkout the toilets. I was immediately greeted by the salesperson (lets call her Sally). Sally asked me how she could help me today. I replied that I was interested in finding toilets for my house. Everything was going great until I said the word toilet. Her smile changed. She looked at me like she was in the process of smelling a dirty toilet. After she recovered from my blasphemy, the smile returned as she informed me, "I would be happy to show you the commodes." I knew I was probably in the wrong store but decided to continue the search. Tensions subsided and Sally seemed to have forgiven my lack of social graces. She showed me all of the floor models and told me their special features. (Yes they have special features but that is another story.) I was invited to sit on some of their most popular (expensive) models. There I am feeling completely ridiculous taking the showroom commode for a test drive (albeit a dry run) when I am asked, "How does it feel?" I really had to pause and take a moment to respond. I know the salesperson was being very nice and trying hard to sell the product but really - how does it feel? My lack of response encouraged additional questions. "How does it fit? Don't you just love the comfort height?" Not knowing have to tactfully answer questions about how a toilet makes me feel or fits me, I went with the height. I looked down at my dangling feet that couldn't touch the floor as I responded that it was too high! I figured she would instantly understand because she was about 5' tall. Sally was not deterred.  She was helpful. She explained I was just not used to the comfort height and needed to practice. She assured me that once I got used to the comfort height I would realize how hard the standard height is to sit-on . Try to keep a straight face; take all this seriously; and don't be insulted because she was very nice about the whole thing. I left without buying a toilet. I mean honestly, how could I buy a toilet from a woman who just told me I need to practice using the toilet and then confessed she has trouble sitting on it herself?


1)  Meet the Royal Granada 1018 Contemporary Toilet.
This was our first toilet purchase and will be in one of the half-baths. At the time of purchase it was most competitively priced by Overstock.com, who also offers Club O Members free oversize freight shipping and reward dollars toward future purchases. Being that we have not installed this toilet yet, I am unable to tell you how it makes me feel at this time. Please stayed tuned for future updates.


For additional information about this product please visit the following web address. http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Royal-Granada-1018-Contemporary-Toilet/2923549/product.html 


2) Introducing the Porcher 97010-11 Solutions 1.6 to 0.8 Wall Mounted Dual Flush Toilet.
This fine specimen was purchased for the basement half-bath. I made the decision to purchase this model based on the reviews and the instillation video on YouTube. I was impressed. I would tell you how I really feel but I am sure my true feelings will be better expressed after I get to use it. I purchased it online from Build.com who at the time offered the most competitive price and free shipping.


Porcher as seen on the Build.com website.

For additional information about this product please visit the following web address.
http://www.build.com/porcher-97010-11-solutions-1-6-to-8-gpf-wall-mounted-dual-flush-toilet/p1379427

I can hardly wait to buy the next three toilets. Today I identified several possibilities but none of them has made me feel the urge . . . to buy. I still have reviews to read, prices to compare and special features to learn about. In the end the search will have yielded five stylish, low-water usage toilets of various heights (because you never know when a tall person is coming to visit).

All-in-one sink & toilet. http://dornob.com/space-saving-sink-and-toilet-combined-design/


 
Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment