Search This Blog

Friday, January 6, 2012

Saying Goodbye to Christmas

Some people take their Christmas tree down Christmas Day after the gifts have been opened. I still have my Christmas trees (there are two of them) up, decorated and lit. I love how beautiful they look and the way they make me feel each time I look at them. I decorate other parts of our home and Marston loves to put lights on the outside but nothing is as important as our tree. There is a variety of ornaments but our favorites are gifts from family and friends, souvenirs from the trips we have taken, and ornaments we made. Our tree doesn't have a theme and would not suit some tastes but it is perfect for us.

The very idea of people bringing a large tree inside their home seems irrational but we do it. There is a magic in our home when it is lit that suggests the unlikely and impossible could happen. Last year was supposed to be our last Christmas in our current home but the impossible happened. We were fortunate enough to celebrate one more time in the place we first celebrated together. It was the greatest gift. I am now ready to move forward and share our future celebrations together in our new home. So many of the gifts in my life once seemed impossible. The greatest of these is my husband. I was so excited when he got home last night. I told him, "I love our Christmas tree and never want to take it down!" He just smiled and laughed. Of course, we will be taking it down this weekend but tonight we will share one more night basking in the magic - believing that all things are possible.

Jack enjoying one last night under the tree. He thinks he is the greatest gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment