Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Keep it Between the Ditches

A couple of weeks ago, I had an unfortunate adventure while driving on an unfamiliar country road on what seems like the darkest night ever. I was looking for the road I was supposed to turn onto when I realized I was already past it. Okay- find a road to pull into and turn around. No problem!

So I am driving along looking for another road and spotted it just as I was about to pass it. I could have braked but that would have met inviting the guy behind me into my bed. Being that I just had my beloved Dodge painted I decided to pull over and back into the road. It was so dark I couldn't even tell there was a road there but I could see the street sign.  Knowing that the road would be two to three feet away from the sign I aimed accordingly. My aim was true and I reached my destination - the ditch. That's right, I backed my truck into the ditch about four feet from the street sign. What I thought was a street was actually an old unused driveway. The actual street was located across the road from the sign. In my defense it was a really deep ditch and I stopped as-soon-as I realized I was backing into a lower spot than I had intended. There I am - the front of the truck on the edge of the pavement and the rear wheels catching nothing but loose grass. Having nothing to put under the wheels for traction and knowing digging holes would get me nowhere fast, I admitted defeat. I hit the four-ways and called for a tow.

Being prepared means having a plan and it is times like this that I love technology. I get out my phone, search my contact list for the number and voila - tow truck is on its way. Okay, it wasn't exactly that easy - it took me a few minutes to explain to Jimmy where I was. Meanwhile a cop and a local "Rescue Rodger" (who just happens to be one of the guys from the nail salon, where I get an occasional pedicure) pull-up. The "Rescue Rodger" gets to the door of the truck first.

"You okay Miss. Lawna?"

I could blame this butchering of my name on the fact that he is Asian but the truth is he speaks perfect English. He is very nice and is trying to assist me so I ignore the mispronunciation.

"I am fine."

"Good! You coming in for a pedicure this week?"

At this point the last thing on my mind is my next pedicure. Part of me wants to laugh but the other part of me realizes that marketing and promoting your business every chance you get is important.

"Probably not this week."

Our foot care conversation is cut short by the cop who is now out of his vehicle and needing attention. He approaches and when I say approaches I mean he has his upper body through the window into the cab of the truck. He gets close enough to make-out and I assume he is checking my breath for alcohol because at this point I was smelling his.

"What happened?"

I dole out the tale and he seems to believe me. He wants to call someone to pull me out and doesn't seem happy when I explain a tow truck is already on its way. He gets impatient waiting for Jimmy and repeatedly offers to call someone else. He claims to know someone who can get here fast. I explained it would be wrong to give the call to someone else after Jimmy was already on his way. I was informed it happens all the time. (Can you say kickback? HELLO!)

Jimmy pulls up. Tows me out. Just like that - 30 seconds and I am rolling. Eat your heart-out NASCAR.

When I ask about paying him he tells me not to worry about it. He is happy to help me out.

That's right - left his house at seven o'clock at night to tow me out of the ditch for nothing but a Thank You.

This past week the Dodge wasn't charging. I took her to Jimmy's for an alternator. (At 12 the old girl is starting to show her age.) Jimmy didn't mention the towing incident. I brought it up and thanked him again for everything he does. He totally down played it an told me I missed the driveway by inches and that anyone else would have thought it was a road next to a street sign. No dumb women driver jokes, just courteous and reassuring comments.

Marston says it gives him peace of mind knowing that Jimmy looks out for me and it means a lot knowing I am safe. Two years ago the Dodge was sick and could go no further. I pushed her out of the road and called Jimmy. He left his family and supper to come to my aid. We took her to his garage for repair. After several days he gave up and referred me to another garage. (He didn't charge me because he was unable to find out what was wrong.) The next garage claimed nothing was wrong with the Dodge and charged me a lot for their diagnosis. A couple of hours later I broke-down again. I called Jimmy and he came and was able to diagnosis what was not wrong while she was still not running. We took her to his garage for a second look. I don't know how long it took him to discover what was wrong but I know his time was worth more than what I paid him.

Big Thanks to my friend and soon-to-be new neighbour Jimmy McGowan. Please add him to your contact list for those unforeseen emergencies. He is located at:

My savior's noble steed.
McGowan's Service Station
1011 George Street
New Bern, NC  28560
(252)637-2410











Big Thanks to Paul my "Rescue Rodger" for responding to the call and waiting with me until I got pulled out. He was there with his emergency vest on and emergency lights flashing. Please support your local volunteer firemen by visiting their businesses.  You can find Paul at:

Tips to Toes
2065 S Glenburnie Road
New Bern, NC
(252)635-6245
(In the Harris Teeter Parking Lot)

No comments:

Post a Comment